Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Three little pigs


Three little sausages links

    We just got our three little pigs on Sunday, and already one prove to be an escape artist. When I picked them up, I put two in one dog crate and the other in the other dog crate. Then put them in the back of the truck. When I got home, I put the first one in the pen I made for them, and watched him for a second or two and he seemed to be content. Then I went to get the other two, still keeping an eye on the one in the pen. I noticed he was walking to the back of the pen, but didn't think to much of it, thinking the electric fence would stop him. I turned around to grab the other two and I heared the pig squeal from the fence. I turned back around only to see the pig keep walking into the woods past the fence. That's when the pig scramble began.
The porker on the left gave me a run for my money
    Needless to say catching a free pig is no easy task. He took off towards the neighbor's house with me walking right behind him. The neighbors were out working on their porch, when the heard a wrestling in the leaves, they turned around to see a baby pig coming out of the woods onto their grass. I can only imagine what a shock that would be. Then I showed up right behind the pig, and explained to them what was going on. The pig then took off back into the woods, I tried to grab a couple of times, but failed. Then I tried to coral him back to the neighbors were they tried to corner him and grab him, but this also failed. After chasing him down for so long he was starting to get tiered. He stopped behind a big pine tree, where I was able to sneak up behind the tree. I reached around the tree and dived for his back legs, and was able to hold onto one of the legs. He was not happy about this and let me know vocally. I scooped him up still holding his back legs with one hand and his chest with the other. I talked to the neighbors for a minute or two, since we haven't talked in 3 years, and thanked them for their help.
Quick pen I put up
   Once we got back to the house I realized the pen was not going to work, and had to do something else. I put him back into dog crate, and made a quick 10' x 10' pen out plywood next to the shop. Put some straw down and cut a hole in the plywood for me to get into the pen. It's not pretty but it will do. Put the three little pigs in and watched them play in the straw.


When I makes some adjustments they'll live in here
The gap he jumped through



   When I went to the back of the pen where he got out, I noticed that the gap between the first wire and second wire was pretty big, big enough for a baby pig to jump through. He probably saw the first wire and jumped over it, but still got a shock from the second wire. His body weight carried him through and he was off through the woods. Not knowing how big the pigs were going to be I thought it would be OK. Of course my lovely wife somehow new that the spacing of the wires wasn't going to work, and informed me of this before and after the pig got out. I guessed I should have listen.

2 comments:

  1. I have earmarked your blog because as a fellow Maine family farmer it interests me, it is well written and easy to want to read, and you have great pictures included in your blog. You do not have a place for me to "follow" your blog like most of them do. Just a thought!

    Sonja Twombly of
    http://lallybrochfarms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I'll look into how to put on the follow feature. Still learning how to blog.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete