Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Waterer and Feeder for the Meat Birds

   We're using our old chicken coop to raise the meat birds this year, and the layers are in the new coop. The birds are going to be little tight on space as they grow but still within the amount of space you're supposed to have for them. I've got plans to make a new coop next year, but that's next year.
   I wanted to do a post about the waterer and feeder so people can see how easy it is to raise them. The feeder is just a box with an opening at the bottom and a angled piece of wood in the back to move the grain forward. I put two 50 lb. bags in it, and that last for a couple of weeks or so. I bought an automatic waterer for them and hooked it up to a trash can. I fill the trash can with water once a week or so and the waterer will automatically fill up the bowl when it gets low. I check on the birds every day to make sure they're ok, but with these systems it makes it very easy to raise meat birds.


3 comments:

  1. The feeder looks fantastic. What a great idea! I assume you have a top to avoid any chicken waste dropping inside... how do you stop them from standing on the lid and making a mess all over the top? Is it angled? I ask because I am thinking about copying it for our main coop.

    I also loved your water set up, but with our ducks and chickens living together, it would be a mess in about 2 minutes. Although, it still looks easy to clean the bowl portion... so maybe... hmmm...

    Sonja from http://lallybrochfarms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meat birds don't fly or really move that much, so keeping them off the top is not a problem but there is a top on it to keep stuff from falling in to it. I have the same set up in the new coop, except the bin is on the outside of the wall and the tray they eat out of is inside the coop.
    We have the same waterer in the new coop also. We have ducks and chickens living together, and they don't make that big of mess of it. The bowl disconnects quickly making it easy to clean. We ordered them through McMurry Hatchery.

    ReplyDelete