Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

   This Saturday was the day the pigs went to the butcher. We ended up buying a one horse trailer to transport the pigs in, which we picked up on Thursday. I would've like to have more time to set up the trailer in front of the pen and give them some time to walk back and forth between the pen and trailer, but didn't have much time. I got up early Saturday morning to load up the pigs. I opened up the pen door and threw some feed on the ground to try to lure them into the trailer, I didn't feed them for a couple days to make sure they were good and hungry. The female who is the aggressive one, went first after about ten minutes of coaxing and was eating some feed in the trailer. The next to go was the spotted male, which wasn't as easy. After about twenty minutes, I finally got him past the door of the pen and he was hanging out in space between the pen and the trailer. I tried putting some rope around him to pull him but he just kicked and squirmed out of it. After another twenty minutes or so he finally decide to go into the trailer. My wife came out to help and said lets try to get the last one. I knew that the female was going to fill up on food and not want to stay in the trailer much longer and decided to call it because the other male was not even thinking about coming out of his pen. Of course this is the same pig that I had to chase through the woods, twice.
    The ride up to the butcher went well with no issues. Now when I go up this weekend  to pick up the meat I'm going to have to drop off the last pig also.

No comments:

Post a Comment