Friday, January 4, 2013

Homemade Corn Nuts

    This past summer, we had a surplus of sweet corn that we couldn't eat in time before it got too much of a starchy taste, so we left them on the stalk to dry out. After the stalks dried up we picked the corn and hung it up in the basement to finish drying. We weren't sure what we were going to do with it at the time, but after eating a bag of corn nuts, we decided to try to make our own.
   What I did first was, shuck the corn off the cob and then put the corn into a bowl with enough water to cover the kernels. I left the corn in the fridge for three days or so. The water that is absorbed helps make the kernels almost pop and swell up. After the kernels absorbed some the water, I strained them through a colander and, then laid them out on a dish towel to air dry.
   While they were drying, I heated up the deep fryer to 375 degrees. If you don't have deep fryer, you need to get one they're great. Once dried I put them in the deep fryer for about seven minutes, once they started looking golden brown, I took them out and dried them on a paper towel. I then sprinkled them with some salt, and the whole family enjoyed eating them up.  
   The kinds you buy at the store are made out of a different type of corn, Hickory King Corn, but we wanted to try to use the corn we already had.
 




 









I know there is nothing healthy about taking a starchy, sugary food and deep frying it and then puting salt on it, but who can be healthy all the time?




No comments:

Post a Comment