|Last year's evaporator|
This year I was able to find an old locker and modify it into a better evaporator. I used a right angle grinder to cut the doors off, then cut it to the length I wanted. Out of the extra parts I had, I made a door and some side supports. I used self tapping screws to put everything together, including a piece over the exhaust hole to stop any ashes from falling into the syrup. We tried it out using water instead of sap so that any of the paint or dirt would be burned off before we used it for syrup. I think when we make syrup we'll put some dirt or sand along the sides to help insulate the sides. Although it looks a little ghetto, it worked out great and didn't cost a thing. We still have about another month before the sap starts to flow around here, but we are already starting to get excited for some more real maple syrup.