Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ducks




   These are what our new ducklings will eventually look like, they're the ducklings, parents. The two female ducks are the lighter color ones and the drake is the one with the darker head. The female ducks have been giving us an average of one egg a day from each of them. The drake's name is Lefty. The way he got that name is, when we got them in the spring as ducklings I filled up a big tub with water from the hose and put them in it to swim. They looked pretty good swimming, so I left them for a bit to do something else. When I came back he was doing a side stroke barely keeping his head above water. What I forgot to take into consideration was how cold the water was and hypothermia was starting to set in on him. I got them out and heated them up, especially Lefty. When he was back to temperature, the only thing wrong with him was his left wing stuck out sideways at the end. So we had to call him Lefty. Although he may be a lefty, the ducklings are proof he can get the job done.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the pictures. These are definitely different than ours. I think I am right that we have Swedish blacks, though I was told they were Khaki Campbells. lol

    http://lallybrochfarms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete