Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chicks and Baby Goats


  It's been really busy around here down on the farm, between chicks hatching and catching kids as they come out of goats. A couple of weeks after Leroy started crowing, which means he is sexual mature, we decided to try to incubate some eggs and see what happens. We didn't put a lot of effort in to it because we weren't sure that he was making the rounds. We just grabbed some the eggs that looked like the came from the other Buff Orpingtons and put them in the incubator. Sometime we remembered to flip them, sometimes we didn't, we even forgot when we put them in there. My wife told me to go head and throw them out because she didn't think anything was alive in the eggs, and she stopped turning them three days ago. I never got around to throwing them out luckily  because as she was chasing the kids around the house getting ready for bed time she heard a strange peeping sound coming from the kitchen. A bunch of chicks were pecking they were out of the eggs. 
My wife has a very good maternal extinct, you are supposed to stop turning the eggs three days before they hatch and that's what she did, accidentally  We ended up with thirteen chicks all said and done which we will use to replenish the flock as the older ones pass on.

  When we brought over a buck to breed with our does, we didn't think Aspen ever mated. Then she started to develop an udder to our surprise. We thought she would kid after Montana but on Monday she started acting weird. I was outside doing some work on the pig pen and she was screaming really loud at me and pawing at the ground. She seemed really restless,so I went inside and told the wife to get ready for some more kids. Three hours later I went to check on her and she was lying on the ground with a little bubble starting to come out. I yell for the wife and told her to hurry or she was going to miss it. This time the baby came out front feet first, like they are supposed to, but as the the head started to come she seemed to stop. Being new to this we thought we should help and pull with her. I wasn't come easily, so I put my fingers inside and could feel the head kinda face backwards causing the log jam. I tried to re-position the head a little bit and we both pulled as she pushed. Eventually we got the kid out. After doing some research, I found out that had we just given her time she would have probably pushed it out just fine by herself. We thought she would only have one, due to this was her first time having babies and she looked on the smaller side. As we dried the first kid off one more popped out. She had one buck and one doe, not bad for a first freshener.

   
Three days later Montana started to act like she was getting ready to have her babies. Being pregnant was hard on her due to the fact that she looked like she swallowed a kitchen sink, so she was more then ready to get those kids out. I put her in the kidding stall and let her have some alone time. Nothing was really happening so we put the kids to bed and I did some work in the shop. As finished up at 10:30, I checked on her one more time thinking that it probably wouldn't happen tonight, but I found her lying on her side starting to push. I called the wife out over the monitor and she came running out. We let her do her thing and she pushed out one kid and then another, and then another, and then another. Two does and two bucks, very good for a first timer. We dried them off and got them under the heat lamp and then waited for the placenta  to come out. When I went into work the next day, I told everyone "I was pulling out a placenta at 2:00 in the morning. How was your night?"

The older bucks are starting to get mischievous.


1 comment: