Monday, April 22, 2013

This Year's Piggies


   We ended up getting our pigs from the same breeder as we did last year to insure we get the same quality of pig. The only problem we had was we wanted four and he only had three for us. Luckily for us, I was able to find a breeder that had the same breed of pigs and had a litter around the same age as the three. It was Miss E's birthday and all she wanted to do was go get the piglets with me. So we took the mini-van, and drove an extra half an hour past the breeder and picked up the first piglet. She got to pick which one and decided to name it Piggy. Then we went to pick up the other three, and when we got out of the van the breeder came out with the three little piglets following right behind him. One by one we picked them up and loaded them up in dog cages in the back of the mini-van, and drove away. I must say that the smell got pretty bad in the van and we deferentially had the windows down even though it was cold outside.

   I had spent most of the week prior to picking up the pigs to fix up the pig pen and put up some metal fence behind the electric fence to make sure they would stay in there. So when I got home and put the piglets in their new home, I was sure that they would stay in there.  I was wrong. As they started to test the electric fence they would get  a shock and run around. One of them figured out that if they run fast enough they can fit through the opening in the metal fence. So there I was again chasing a piglet through the woods just like last year. After running all around, I finally dived and grabbed the back legs and picked him up. I put him back in the dog cage and started to make a place for them in the goat barn. Once I  finished closing off one of the pens and I started to put the piglets in. I got three piglets in, and as turned around to get the last one he was gone. Of course it was the brown one, so he blended into the woods very well. Me and the wife walked around and finally we saw him come walking back through the woods. I turn the electric fence off to make sure we didn't get shock. The piglet ran all around and then ran back into the pen. I thought we had him cornered but he was able to get around us. As he ran through the fence one more time I was able to dive over the fence, like an outfielder catching a baseball, and reached out and grabbed the back legs. I put him back with his friends and then took a break. The piglets are happy in there new home and once they get big enough not to fit through the fence, they will go back into the pig pen. The only thing we have left to do is name the other three.

No comments:

Post a Comment