Tuesday, May 21, 2013

All Purpose Citrus Cleaner

     In an effort to cut back on buying chemicals to clean our home I have started making my own citrus all purpose cleaner. So far I have made 2 batches and I have three more "aging" under the kitchen sink. I am pleased with how well this simple recipe works and like it's disinfecting properties the best. I can use it on the kitchen counters and I know that it is leaving behind a clean and safe work surface.

     With all of the cooking, baking, preserving and raw food preparation that goes on in our kitchen on a daily basis, I feel like wiping the counters in our kitchen is my full time job.

     We have three cats that like to jump up onto the counters, and dozens of dirty chicken and duck eggs, pet dishes, and water bottles that need washing. Needless to say, a thorough wipe down is A MUST before making anything in this kitchen!!!

     What's nice about this recipe is that I always have everything I need to make it on hand. All I do is fill a quart mason jar at least 1/2 way full with lemon, lime, or orange peels. I then pour distilled white vinegar over the rinds and let it sit for a minimum of two weeks in the back of the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

(Tip: I write the date I set it aside on the lid so I know how long it's been there.) 


     When the two weeks is up, I simply strain out the rinds, and add equal parts water and citrus mixture to a reusable spray bottle. I did add lemon extract to my latest batch just because I had it on hand, but I did not really notice any difference from the batches that I did not add it to.                                                 

Mrs. J :)

No comments:

Post a Comment