Monday, May 20, 2013

Rhubarb Marmalade

     I have always LOVED rhubarb! When I was a little girl my friend and I used to pick it at her farm and eat it raw. Her mother would give us bowls of sugar and we would dip and much away! My mom always made a strawberry rhubarb pie when she could get her hands on some rhubarb of her own, but my absolute favorite was when she would make stewed rhubarb. It is delicious on french vanilla ice cream, but it is also pretty darn good straight up!


     We do not have any rhubarb growing here on the farm, but I do know a few people who have some and I am shameless about begging for it! My brother's fiance gave me a handful last week and over the weekend I decided to try something new. I was pressed for time and did not really want to stew up 6 cups of rhubarb for only me to eat so I used this recipe to make rhubarb marmalade. This way I can enjoy the taste of rhubarb all year round and since I am the only one in my family who seems to like rhubarb, I'll even have some to use as gifts. I have already broken into the first 1/2 pint and I must say that it is quite delicious! It reminds me a lot of stewed rhubarb and is the perfect topping for my toast in the morning.

Rhubarb Marmalade Recipe  (Yields 8-1/2 pints)          
                                                                                                           
6 cups chopped rhubarb
6 cups sugar
2 whole oranges, pulsed in the food processor

1. Combine chopped rhubarb, sugar and processed oranges in a dutch oven.
2. Bring to a boil and then simmer until it sheets on a spoon. 
3. Pour into clean 1/2 pint mason jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. 
4. Process jars for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.



I hope you have some rhubarb or can track some down
 so you too can make this simple, yet ever so yummy recipe while rhubarb is in season. 

Mrs J :)

No comments:

Post a Comment