Friday, December 7, 2012

Root Cellar


   Last year, after a good harvest, we ended up needing a place to store all our vegetables. After doing some research, we found out how easy it is to make a root cellar. What I did was found a corner of our basement that was on the south side and had a window in it, and then put up some walls. I used 2 x 4 lumber and then put two inch thick foam board on the inside of the walls and then put some thin plywood on the outside of the walls. I then made a door out of the plywood and foam. The root cellar is about six foot by ten foot, and has plenty enough room for everything. I got lucky and had a light already in it. I hung a thermometer up on the wall and was ready to go. In the beginning of the season I open up the window at nights and shut it during the days, but as it gets cold I just leave it cracked. If it gets too cold outside I have to shut it all the way or all the stuff will freeze and get ruined. That's what happened last year.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS POST. We are constructing our first root cellar this year. Great job on yours.

    ReplyDelete