Monday, December 17, 2012

The Fifth Day of Homemade Christmas

I Spy Bags



     I've seen a million different versions of these on the internet and because of that I almost didn't share them, but to be honest, they were so fun to make that I just had to!!! I used scrap fabric and ribbon that I had on hand and some vinyl from a pillow sham package I had saved for the "window." I filled them with clean poly pellets that I got from my mom's stash. You could easily use rice instead, which is much cheaper. I did splurge at the craft store and spent a whopping $20.00 on enough beads and do dads to make about a dozen more of these! 
     The most time consuming part was taking pictures of the items that are hidden inside. I plan to print out the pictures below, laminate them with my Xyron machine, punch a hole in them, and hook them onto the ribbon tags with a loose binder ring. Once I make the tags, I'll share a final picture, but for kids that can read already, you could simply make a list, or skip that part altogether and just let them play "I SPY" without a key (I think that's what you'd call it.) I have already whipped up a few more of these to give as birthday gifts in the future and since I have so many leftover supplies, I plan to make even more. 
     As you can see, I got a little fancy with the stitching around the windows. This was just because I could and I wanted an excuse to waste all of my thread play with my new machine! If there is room these may go in the kids' stockings, but if not I will definitely still give them to them for Christmas and not hang on to them because I am curious to see what they think of them...

what's inside Miss E's I SPY BAG
(Lime green with pink ribbon tag)
what's inside Miss D's I SPY BAG
(blue flowered with pink ribbon tag)

what's inside Mr. T's I SPY BAG
(blue with green ribbon tag)

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite project so far! Please, please, please in some future post, print out the sewing instructions, too???? I plan to make these myself using rice. :)

    Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete